OBAMA PRESIDENCY & THE 113TH CONGRESS:
Giffords visits Obama at White House
Source: USA Today, 1-30-13
President Obama welcomed a special guest to the White House on Wednesday, shooting survivor and former U.S. Rep.Gabrielle Giffords.
Giffords and husband Mark Kelly visited just a few hours after testifying in a Senate hearing on legislation to address gun violence.
“Everyone here was heartened to see Gabrielle Giffords testify today,” said White House spokesman Jay Carney, confirming the meeting with Obama….READ MORE
Posted by bonniekgoodman on January 30, 2013
OBAMA PRESIDENCY & THE 113TH CONGRESS:
Gabby Giffords’s opening statement (transcript, video)
Source: WaPo, 1-30-13
Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ full opening statement at the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence:
Okay. Thank you for inviting me. This is an important conversation for our children, for our communities, for Democrats and Republicans. Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act. Be bold, be courageous. Americans are counting on you. Thank you.
Posted by bonniekgoodman on January 30, 2013
Ron Barber, Former Gabrielle Giffords Aide, Wins Seat in Congress After Close Race
Source: ABC News Radio, 11-19-12
Jonathan Gibby/Getty Images
Democrat Ron Barber, former aide to Gabrielle Giffords, was declared the winner today of a tight congressional race in Southern Arizona.
Saturday morning, Barber’s opponent, Republican Martha McSally, called him and conceded the race.
The hard-fought battle played out in a newly redrawn district in Southern Arizona that covers parts of Tucson and Pima County and all of Cochise County….READ MORE
Posted by bonniekgoodman on November 18, 2012
CAMPAIGN BUZZ 2012
Barber ran as a moderate, never identifying himself as a Democrat in his ads. | AP Photo
IN FOCUS: FORMER GABBY GIFFORDS AIDE DEMOCRAT RON BARBER WINS ARIZONA SPECIAL ELECTION TO FINISH HER CONGRESSIONAL TERM
Former Giffords Aide Ron Barber Wins Arizona Special Election: Ron Barber, the former district director for Gabrielle Giffords, has won the special election for his old bosses’ seat.
For Barber, 66, victory is bittersweet. The top aide to Giffords was also injured in the grocery store shooting on January, 2011 — he was shot in the leg and the cheek….. – ABC News Radio, 6-13-12
- Arizona Race to Succeed Giffords Won by Democrat: Ron Barber, whom former Representative Gabrielle Giffords picked as her successor, defeated his Republican rival on Tuesday in a closely followed special election…. – NYT, 6-13-12
- Former Gabrielle Giffords aide Ron Barber wins election to finish her term: Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ hand-picked Democratic candidate won a special election Tuesday in southern Arizona to finish her term, defeating a Republican who narrowly lost to Giffords in 2010…. – AP, 6-13-12
- Ron Barber wins Arizona special election: Ron Barber gave Democrats a much-needed boost Tuesday by winning an Arizona special election that came just one week after the party suffered a demoralizing loss in Wisconsin.
In a House contest to finish the term of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Barber defeated Republican to win a southern Arizona-based seat that has been vacant since Giffords announced her resignation in January to focus on her recovery following a January 2011 assassination attempt.
The special election ranked as the highest-profile contest on a day when six other states cast ballots in House primaries…. – Politico, 6-13-12
- Democrat Ron Barber Retains Gabby Giffords’s Arizona Congressional Seat: Former Giffords aide Ron Barber beat his Tea Party opponent in an election that was far less close than predicted. Democrats said the victory is a good omen for Obama, but Republicans attributed it to…. Daily Beast, 6-13-12
- Arizona Voters Pick Former Aide to Fill Giffords’ Seat: Democrat Ron Barber, an aide to former US Representative Gabrielle Giffords, won a special election to fill the remaining term of the congresswoman who resigned after being shot in the head … BusinessWeek, 6-13-12What to Draw from Gabby Giffords Special Election: Voters in southeastern Arizona are at the polls Tuesday in a special election to fill the seat vacated by Gabby Giffords’ retirement.
The Democratic nominee, Ron Barber, has a very personal connection to Giffords. Not only is he Giffords’ former district director, but he was also shot in the leg and cheek in the assassination attempt on Giffords in January 2011.
Tea Party supporter and former Marine Jesse Kelly is the Republican nominee. Kelly narrowly lost his 2010 race against Giffords by 4,000 votes.
While a new poll out Monday showed Barber ahead of Kelly by 12 points, insiders on both sides say their polling shows the race much tighter. Many of those closest to the contest give Barber a narrow advantage…. – ABC News Radio, 6-12-12
- Arizona voters go to polls to fill Gabrielle Giffords’s seat in Congress: Voters in Arizona were set to select a replacement for former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D) in a competitive special election on Tuesday, but late poll closings left the winner undetermined late Tuesday night…. – WaPo, 6-12-12
- Special election to replace Gabrielle Giffords set for Tuesday in Arizona: Voters in southeastern Arizona will decide Tuesday whether to continue the legacy of former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D) by electing a former aide who was among those injured with her in a tragic 2011 shooting or to punish President Obama…. – WaPo, 6-11-12
- Gabrielle Giffords’ House seat: Final scramble underway: Democrat Ron Barber and Republican Jesse Kelly made a last-ditch plea for votes ahead of Tuesday’s special election to succeed former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, as an independent poll showed Barber poised to win.
With momentum apparently in his favor, Barber spent the day trying to mobilize his get-out-the-vote operation and avoid complacency. The tea party-backed Kelly went on a popular conservative talk radio show and pressed his case that Barber would be a rubber stamp for President Barack Obama…. – Politico, 6-12-12
Posted by bonniekgoodman on June 13, 2012
POLITICAL SPEECHES & DOCUMENTS
OBAMA PRESIDENCY & THE 112TH CONGRESS:
President Obama Signs Rep. Gabby Giffords’ Final Bill
Source: WH, 2-10-12
President Obama signs H.R. 3801, the Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012, in the Oval Office, Feb. 10, 2012. This bill was the last piece of legislation that former Representative Gabrielle Giffords sponsored and voted on in the U.S. House of Representatives. Vice President Joe Biden, former Representative Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly attended the signing ceremony. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
Today, President Obama signed the last piece of legislation that Congresswoman Gabby Giffords authored before her retirement.
The new law is designed to clamp down on ultralight planes that are used to smuggle drugs into the United States.
In a statement, President Obama said, “I’m confident that while this legislation may have been her last act as a Congresswoman, it will not be her last act of public service.”
This final bill from Rep. Giffords passed Congress unanimously.
POLITICAL QUOTES & SPEECHES
Statement by President Obama upon Signing the Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012
This bill gives our nation’s law enforcement expanded authority to combat illicit drug trafficking on our Northern and Southern Borders and being able to sign it next to my friend Gabby Giffords gives me enormous pride. She has spent her career fighting for the safety of the people of Arizona and the fact that it passed unanimously shows just how much Gabby is respected by her colleagues in Congress in both parties. Her dedication to fairness and to this country has been an inspiration to so many, including myself. I wished Gabby well in her recovery and told her that I expect to see more of her in the months and years to come. I’m confident that while this legislation may have been her last act as a Congresswoman, it will not be her last act of public service.
Posted by bonniekgoodman on February 10, 2012