By Bonnie K. Goodman
Ms. Goodman is the Editor of History Musings. She has a BA in History & Art History & a Masters in Library and Information Studies from McGill University, and has done graduate work in history at Concordia University. Ms. Goodman has also contributed the overviews, and chronologies in History of American Presidential Elections, 1789-2008, 4th edition, edited by Gil Troy, Fred L. Israel, and Arthur Meier Schlesinger published by Facts on File, Inc. in late 2011.
CAMPAIGN BUZZ 2012
Stephanie Strasburg for The New York Times — Rick Santorum announced the suspension of his presidential campaign in Gettysburg, Pa., on Tuesday.
The decision abruptly ends Rick Santorum’s quest for the Republican presidential nomination after weeks in which he has struggled to compete with Mitt Romney’s well-financed campaign apparatus.
IN FOCUS: RICK SANTORUM SUSPENDS BID FOR REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION
Today I announced that I am suspending my campaign for the President of the United States. This has been one of the hardest decisions Karen and I have ever had to face together. And it has been hard in large measure because of you. I know that my candidacy has offered you a way to fight for your convictions. Together, we have fought for the principles that this country was founded on; that made this country great. Without fighting for them, this country cannot continue to be great.
I thank you for your support, and urge you to continue this fight. God bless you, and please keep us in your prayers. And know that we keep you in ours. — Rick Santorum
“Over and over again, we were told, ‘Forget it, you can’t win.’ We were winning. We were winning in a very different way because we were touching hearts. We were raising issues that, well, frankly, a lot of people didn’t want to have raised.”
“This race was as improbable as any race that you will ever see for president. I want to thank God for that and I want to thank all of you. Thank all of you across this country for what you have given– well, hopefully not just me and our family but what you’ve given which is a voice to those who are in many cases voiceless.”
“We traveled around and did 385 town hall meetings in Iowa. We weren’t out there trashing anybody … We painted a hopeful, positive vision for our country. One that was based on how we could get this country turned around, not just economically.”
“Against all odds, we won 11 states. Millions of voters. Millions of votes. We won more counties than all the other people in this race combined.”
“We made a decision over the weekend that while this presidential race for us is over, for me, and we will suspend our campaign effective today, we are not done fighting. We are going to continue to fight for those voices. We’re going to continue to fight for the Americans who stood up and gave us that air under our wings that allowed us to accomplish things that no political expert would have ever expected.”
Mitt Romney: I Congratulate Senator Santorum on the Campaign He Ran: “Senator Santorum is an able and worthy competitor, and I congratulate him on the campaign he ran. He has proven himself to be an important voice in our party and in the nation. We both recognize that what is most important is putting the failures of the last three years behind us and setting America back on the path to prosperity.”
Santorum to withdraw from presidential race: Rick Santorum announced Tuesday afternoon that he is suspending his presidential campaign, according to a campaign official. Santorum will announce his withdrawal at a campaign event in Gettysburg, Pa., all but bringing to a close the 2012 GOP presidential contest and handing the nomination to Mitt Romney…. – WaPo, 4-10-12
Santorum Suspends Presidential Campaign: Rick Santorum suspended his presidential campaign on Tuesday, bowing to the inevitability of Mitt Romney’s nomination and ending his improbable, come-from-behind quest to become the party’s conservative standard-bearer in the fall.
“We made a decision over the weekend, that while this presidential race for us is over, for me, and we will suspend our campaign today, we are not done fighting,” Mr. Santorum said.
Mr. Santorum made the announcement at a stop in his home state of Pennsylvania after a weekend in which he tended to his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, who had been hospitalized with pneumonia.
Mr. Santorum, who was holding back tears, did not exactly specify why he was ending his presidential bid. He referred to his daughter’s illness, but said she was making great progress and was back home after being hospitalized over the weekend…. – NYT, 4-10-12
US Election 2012: highlights from Rick Santorum’s campaign: Rick Santorum said his candidacy was “as improbable as any race you will ever see for president”. Here are the highlights from a shoe-string campaign that one point threatened to derail Mitt Romney…. – Telegraph.co.uk, 4-10-12
- Santorum quits race, handing Romney Republican crown: Mitt Romney on Tuesday effectively won the Republican Party crown to challenge President Barack Obama in November elections, as chief rival Rick Santorum dropped his long-shot White House bid…. – AFP, 4-10-12
- Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign: Bowing to the inevitable after an improbably resilient run for the White House, Rick Santorum quit the presidential race on Tuesday, clearing the way for Mitt Romney to claim the Republican…. – AP, 4-10-12
- Santorum White House bid stirred love, loathing: Rick Santorum, who ended his race for the White House Tuesday, emerged as an improbable contender for the Republican nomination, with a faith-and-family message that caught fire with the party’s most…. – AFP, 4-10-12
- Santorum suspends campaign, clearing Romney’s path CNN International – ?3 minutes ago? By Tom Cohen, CNN Washington (CNN) — Conservative challenger Rick Santorum announced Tuesday that he is suspending his Republican presidential campaign after a weekend of “prayer and thought,” effectively ceding the GOP nomination to front-runner Mitt Romney…
- Rick Santorum ends bid for GOP nomination: Rick Santorum suspended his bid for the presidency on Tuesday, removing the last significant obstacle in … – CBS News, 4-10-12
- Rick Santorum suspends presidential campaign, is ‘not done fighting’: Rick Santorum announced Tuesday that he will suspend his presidential campaign but vowed “we are not done fighting.” “While this presidential race is over for us, for me…we are not done fighting,” Santorum said. “We are going to continue … – LAT, 4-10-12
- Ron Paul: Rick Santorum exit could provide opening: With Rick Santorum’s exit Tuesday, the GOP race is down to three, and Ron Paul becomes Mitt Romney’s biggest threat. Paul can’t win, but he could stop Romney from beating Obama…. – CS Monitor, 4-10-12
- Rick Santorum bows out of 2012 presidential race: Rick Santorum ended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, clearing a path for Mitt Romney to become the nominee…. – CS Monitor, 4-10-12
- Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign: Bowing to the inevitable, Rick Santorum quit the presidential campaign Tuesday, clearing the way for Mitt Romney to claim the Republican nomination. Santorum, appearing with his wife and family in his home state of Pennsylvania, told supporters the … – LAT, 4-10-12
- Santorum Suspends Presidential Campaign: Rick Santorum is suspending his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on Tuesday, according to a person with knowledge of his plans, bowing to the inevitability of Mitt Romney’s nomination and ending his improbable, come-from-behind quest to become the party’s conservative standard-bearer in the fall…. – NYT, 4-10-12
- Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign: AP Rick Santorum is suspending his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, clearing a path for Mitt Romney to become the nominee. A Republican close to the campaign says the former Pennsylvania senator was to make the announcement Tuesday…. – LAT, 4-10-12
- Rick Santorum to suspend presidential campaign: Santorum is set to speak to reporters shortly in Gettysburg, Pa. It is his first campaign event since taking time off for the Easter holiday and to deal with the hospitalization of his youngest daughter, Bella…. – USA Today, 4-10-12
- Rick Santorum withdraws from GOP presidential race, clearing path for Romney: Rick Santorum is suspending his campaign for the GOP presidential nomination, clearing a path for Mitt Romney to become the nominee. A campaign spokesman says the former Pennsylvania senator was to make the announcement Tuesday in his…. – WaPo, 4-10-12
- Poll: What do voters think of Santorum campaign suspension?: Rick Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator and leading stumbling block to Mitt Romney’s path to the GOP nomination, announced Tuesday he will suspend his presidential campaign. Republicans and independents who lean to the GOP…. – WaPo, 4-10-12
- What happens to Rick Santorum’s delegates?: “Against all odds, we won 11 states,” Rick Santorum told supporters in Gettysburg on Tuesday afternoon as he announced that he was suspending his campaign for the GOP presidential nod. “Millions of voters. Millions of votes.”
So, what happens to the 281 Republican National Convention delegates that the former Pennsylvania senator has won over the course of the campaign?
It depends on the states in which Santorum won them…. – WaPo, 4-10-12
(The Washington Post)