By Bonnie K. Goodman
Ms. Goodman is the Editor of History Musings. She has a BA in History & Art History & a Masters in Library and Information Studies from McGill University, and has done graduate work in history at Concordia University.
CAMPAIGN BUZZ 2012
Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerGov. Chris Christie announced today he will not run for president.
IN FOCUS: NJ GOV CHRIS CHRISTIE ANNOUNCES HE WILL NOT BE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT AS A REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE IN 2012
Chris Christie: “Now is not my time”: “In the end, what I’ve always felt was the right decision remains the right decision today. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I will not abandon. New Jersey, whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with me.
The deciding factor was it did not feel right to me, in my gut, to leave now when the job is not finished…
“Can you imagine? The guy would probably want to get a food taster….
not going to preclude any employment in the future….
The country will be better if President Obama is a one-termer….
I’m not particularly self-conscious about this. It’s not a news flash to me that I’m overweight…
The people who wrote [that] are ignorant people. To say that because you are overweight you are therefore undisciplined—I don’t think undisciplined people get to achieve great positions in our society.” — Gov. Chris Christie
Chris Christie will not seek the GOP presidential nomination in 2012: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will not run for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, according to a source familiar with the governor’s thinking.
Christie will announce his plans at a press conference at 1:00 p.m. ET today.
- Chris Christie Will Not Seek Presidency, Advisers Confirm: Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey has decided not to seek the presidency, according to two sources who were told of his decision.
Mr. Christie is scheduled to announce his decision at a news conference in the state capital at 1 p.m. But two sources said Tuesday morning that the governor will not pursue the Republican nomination.
The decision ends a late flurry of indecision on the part of Mr. Christie, who had been encouraged by a growing number of Republican donors and activists who had hoped he would add his name to the field of candidates vying to challenge President Obama…. – NYT, 10-4-11
- Factbox: New Jersey Governor Chris Christie: New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will not jump into the 2012 presidential race, a high-level Republican source said. Republicans and deep-pocketed businessmen have for weeks been urging Christie to run for the Republican nomination…. – Reuters, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie: “Now is not my time”: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced Tuesday that he would not seek the Republican presidential nomination, saying that while he thought seriously about entering the presidential race, “now is not my time.”
Christie said he made his final decision last night and told his allies this morning. He said he went to the bed last night “knowing exactly what I wanted to do” for the first time in weeks…. – CBS News, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie Not Running for President: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will not run for president, according to a source with direct knowledge of the governor’s thinking.
By deciding not to run, Christie is refusing the pleas of many establishment Republicans who have been urging him – even pleading with him – to jump into the race. Dozens of high-level GOP donors have been paying visits to Christie since the spring in the hopes of changing his mind.
But the governor spent months saying the same thing in myriad ways: “no.”… – ABC News, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie won’t run for president: Now what?: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie decision not to run for president almost certainly means that the 2012 Republican presidential field is set, news that some donors and party activists may greet grimly. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie won’t run for president…. – WaPo, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie wont seek presidency in 2012: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has decided against entering the race for president, likely ending once and for all the GOP establishment’s hope for a new candidate in the 2012 race. Christie has scheduled a 1 pm press conference in his state’s capital…. – Politico, 10-4-11
- Does Christie’s Exit Mean the Boomlet Boom Is Finally Over?: The Chris Christie boomlet is over. Now, let’s get down to business and have a campaign. There are just three months to go before the first primaries of 2012. It’s time, Republicans say, to end the Groundhog Day-like cycle of potential candidates…. – The Atlantic, 10-4-11
- Gov. Chris Christie to announce he is not running for president – live coverage: Gov. Chris Christie is holding a press conference today to announce he is not running for president…. – The Star-Ledger, 10-4-11
- Christie Won’t Run: The media-generated bubble that Chris Christie might jump into the presidential race has suddenly popped, with the New Jersey governor staying where he’s been all along: on the sidelines…. – msnbc.com, 10-4-11
- EJ Dionne, Jr: Chris Christie makes the right call: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) made the right decision just in time. He was getting past the point when people (especially his opponents) would start asking: If he is this indecisive about whether he wants to run for president…. – WaPo, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie and the cult of governors as presidential candidates: So the breathless speculation about a Chris Christie presidential bid is finally over (unless things look bad for the Republicans a few months from now). What has received little notice, perhaps because the phenomenon is taken for granted…. – LAT, 10-4-11
- Christie: Man Up And Don’t Call Him A Candidate: Presidential flirt Chris Christie won’t be the belle of the 2012 presidential ball – the New Jersey governor will announce today that he won’t seek the White House. Christie is set to break the news – and disappoint some party mandarins … – New York Daily News, 10-4-11
- Chris Christie 2012 Decision: New Jersey Governor Reportedly Not Running: New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R) is holding a press conference in his home state on Tuesday at 1:00 pm ET. It is widely expected that Christie will announce he will not seek his party’s presidential nomination in 2012. … – Huffington Post – Star Ledger, 10-4-11