By Bonnie K. Goodman
Ms. Goodman is the Editor of History Musings. She has a BA in History & Art History & a Masters in Library and Information Studies from McGill University, and has done graduate work in history at Concordia University. Ms. Goodman has also contributed the overviews, and chronologies in History of American Presidential Elections, 1789-2008, 4th edition, edited by Gil Troy, Fred L. Israel, and Arthur Meier Schlesinger published by Facts on File, Inc. in late 2011.
OBAMA PRESIDENCY & THE 112TH CONGRESS:
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama pose with Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom and Mrs. Samantha Cameron for an official State Dinner photo in the Grand Foyer of the White House, March 14, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)
IN FOCUS: PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA HOSTS BRITISH PRIME MINISTER DAVID CAMERON AT PRESS CONFERENCE, NCCAA BASKETBALL GAME IN OHIO & UK STATE DINNER
- Full Text Obama Presidency March 14, 2012: President Barack Obama & UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s Washington Post Op-Ed — An alliance the world can count on
- Full Text Obama Presidency March 14, 2012: President Barack Obama welcomes UK Prime Minister David Cameron as he arrives at the White House
- Full Text Obama Presidency March 14, 2012: President Barack Obama & UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s Joint Press Conference
- Full Text Obama Presidency March 14, 2012: First Lady Michelle Obama Previews the U.K. State Dinner for the Press
- Full Text Obama Presidency March 14, 2012: UK State Dinner — President Barack Obama & British PM David Cameron’s Speeches Toasting the Alliance between America and Britain
When Barack Met David: A Trans-Atlantic Love Story: This is intended as a quick catch-up for American readers who may have inexplicably missed the top news story of the week: you just had a visit from the British prime minister. And, by the way, his name is David Cameron.
Foreign leaders turn up in Washington with the same regularity that pro-consuls and minor princelings once took the road to ancient Rome. So, if you missed it, you’re forgiven. In the British media, however, this particular three-day meet-and-greet was followed as if it were the second coming.
British officials were spinning like nuclear centrifuges to stress the importance of this latest manifestation of the “special relationship” and of the depth and warmth of the personal ties between “Barack” and “David.”… – IHT, NYT, 3-16-12
- Cameron visits 9/11 memorial in NYC: British Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife, Samantha, visited the memorial at the World Trade Center on Thursday after touring businesses in Newark, N.J…. – AP, 3-15-12
- British state dinner and red carpet arrivals: President Obama and first lady welcome British prime minister David Cameron and wife for a state dinner at the White House. President Barack Obama proposes a toast as he and first lady Michelle Obama host a state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron… – WaPo, 3-14-12
- Obamas host British Prime Minister David Cameron at state dinner: President Obama and his wife, Michelle, hosted the sixth state dinner of their tenure Wednesday evening, honoring British Prime Minister David Cameron in a celebration of spring in a tent on the White House’s South … – LAT, 3-14-12
- White House state dinner for British PM mixes election-year celebrity power: Wednesday’s giant state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife — the biggest ever thrown by Barack and Michelle Obama — dished up a potent mix of celebrity glam, corporate heft and political money under an enormous … – WaPo, 3-16-12
- Obama hails ‘indispensable’ US alliance with Britain: A “chuffed to bits” President Barack Obama gushed over British Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday, but deepening world crises conspired to darken a warm welcome for a special ally.
Obama went out of his way to hail America’s “indispensable” relationship with Britain, even offering to learn the rules of cricket, gifting his guest a top of the range American grill, and laying on a sumptuous state dinner…. – AFP, 3-14-12
- President Obama, David Cameron stress trust, admiration: President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron spent Wednesday evening pouring praise on each other in front of a state dinner crowd of celebrities, politicians, business leaders, journalists and major campaign donors of the president.
“In good times and in bad, he’s just the kind of partner that you want at your side. I trust him. He says what he does and he does what he says,” Obama said at the White House event.
The president spoke of his admiration of Cameron’s “character,” especially in light of the death of his young son Ivan in 2009. “All of us have seen how you as a parent, along with Samantha, have shown a measure of strength that few of us will ever know,” he said.
Obama showed a note of familiarity with the prime minister, calling Cameron by his first name throughout his warm words. Cameron reciprocated.
“There are three things about Barack that really stand out for me: Strength, moral authority and wisdom,” Cameron said, citing the killing of Osama bin Laden and the international action in Libya, among other efforts…. – Politico, 3-14-12
- The White House state dinner: Sweet nothings across the pond: The British arrived. Brilliant! For the British, we roll out our most glorious specimen. For the British, we bring out The Clooney. The purpose of a state dinner is always to cement relationships, celebrate ties, create photo-ops…. – WaPo, 3-14-12
- Michelle Obama wears Marchesa gown to state dinner _ and designer is on the guest list: Michelle Obama chose an off-the-shoulder Marchesa gown for her duties Wednesday night as hostess at a White House state dinner honoring the British prime minister and his wife, David and Samantha Cameron. It was a deep shade of teal in a … – WaPo, 3-14-12
- Michelle Obama Wears Marchesa to the White House State Dinner: It was a win for Marchesa last night when Michelle Obama chose to wear the label’s draped teal column dress to the White House state dinner. The first lady accessorized with a “Pearls in Peril” necklace by Tom Binns…. – WSJ, 3-15-12
- Obama, Cameron warn Iran: They warn that new military action might be near…. – Politico, 3-14-12
President Barack Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom hold a press conference in the Rose Garden of the White House, March 14, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
- Cameron and Obama Show Unity on Afghanistan: Seeking to project a united front on Afghanistan after a spate of bloody setbacks on the battlefield, President Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron of Britain pledged on Wednesday that their countries would stick to the timetable for … – NYT, 3-14-12
- Obama, Cameron outline shift to support role in Afghanistan next year: Determined to show momentum in a war marred by setbacks, President Barack Obama and British Prime Minster David Cameron said for the first time Wednesday that NATO forces would hand over the lead combat role to Afghanistan forces next year … – WaPo, 3-14-12
- Obama, Cameron affirm commitment to Afghan mission: Seeking strength and persuasion in numbers, President Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron together laid out a case for continuing their policy in Afghanistan, an increasingly unstable war-front with fading support in both countries.
Appearing together Wednesday in the Rose Garden for Cameron’s first official visit to the United States, the leaders sought to project a unified front against calls to speed up the pace of withdrawal of forces in the face growing violence and a weary electorate.
Cameron declared firmly that “we will not give up on this mission,” while Obama emphasized his commitment to a “steady, responsible transition process.”
“I don’t anticipate at this stage that we’re going to be making any sudden additional changes to the plan that we currently have,” Obama said…. – LAT, 3-14-12
- First lady brings Olympics to pupils: Michelle Obama and Samantha Cameron lead a group of fifth-graders through a mini-Olympics…. – Politico, 3-14-12
- President Obama takes British leader to NCAA basketball game in Ohio: The casual start to Prime Minister David Cameron’s state visit showcases the nations’ close relationship at a crucial time for the president.
British Prime Minister David Cameron and President Obama headed to Ohio to take in one of the “First Four” games of the NCAA basketball tournament Tuesday, a lighthearted start to a visit that will turn to more difficult subjects Wednesday.
The leaders left their wives in Washington for the man date in the swing state, an outing billed by the White House as important cross-cultural bonding time…. – LAT, 3-13-12
- Obama, Cameron take in ‘Heartland': The president said Cameron would get to see both basketball and “the great state of Ohio.”…. – Politico, 3-13-12
- British prime minister gets a taste of American life: Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife come to the United States for a two-day visit that includes, among other activities, attending the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. US President Barack Obama talks to British Prime Minister David Cameron … – WaPo, 3-13-12
President Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron watch Mississippi Valley State play Western Kentucky in a first-round NCAA tournament game in Dayton, Ohio. (Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press / March 13, 2012)