By Bonnie K. Goodman
Ms. Goodman is the Editor of History Musings. She has a BA in History & Art History & a Masters in Library and Information Studies from McGill University, and has done graduate work in history at Concordia University. Ms. Goodman has also contributed the overviews, and chronologies in History of American Presidential Elections, 1789-2008, 4th edition, edited by Gil Troy, Fred L. Israel, and Arthur Meier Schlesinger published by Facts on File, Inc. in 2011.
COURT AND LEGAL NEWS:
IN FOCUS: JOHN EDWARDS FOUND NOT GUILTY ON 1 COUNT — JUDGE DECLARES MISTRIAL ON OTHER 5 COUNTS IN CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS CORRUPTION TRIAL
Travis Dove for The New York Times
John Edwards outside the federal courthouse in Greensboro, N.C., with his daughter Cate on Thursday.
John Edwards Verdict: Not Guilty on 1 Count, Mistrial on 5 Counts
Source: ABC News Radio, 5-31-12
A North Carolina jury found former Sen. John Edwards not guilty Thursday on one of six counts in a campaign-finance trial, and declared itself hopelessly deadlocked on the remaining charges, leading the judge to declare a mistrial on those counts.
Edwards, a two-time presidential candidate, accused of soliciting nearly $1 million from wealthy backers to finance a cover up of his illicit affair and illegitimate child during his 2008 bid for the White House, was found not guilty on count 3 of the six-part indictment. That count pertained only to whether Edwards illegally received several hundred thousand dollars in donations from wealthy heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon to cover up the affair in 2008.
Following the verdict, Edwards, who remained silent throughout the trial, gave an emotional speech on the courthouse steps. He acknowledged his moral shortcomings and thanked his children, dramatically pausing when mentioning 4-year-old Frances Quinn, the baby he fathered with his mistress….READ MORE
Edwards not guilty on 1 count; Judge declares mistrial on other 5 counts: John Edwards was found not guilty on one of six campaign fraud charges Thursday, and the jury could not reach a verdict on the other counts, leading the judge to declare a mistrial on them…. – WaPo, 5-31-12
“Thank goodness that we live in a country that has the kind of system that we have.
This is about me. I want to make sure that everyone hears from me and from my voice. While I do not believe that I did anything illegal or ever thought I was doing anything illegal, I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong, and there is no one else responsible for my sins.
I am responsible. And if I want to find the person who should be held accountable, honestly, I don’t have to go any further than the mirror. It is me and me alone.” — John Edwards
- For Edwards, Mistrial on 5 of 6 Counts: The lone verdict in the federal campaign finance case against former Senator John Edwards came on the third count, which involved donations from the heiress Rachel Mellon…. – NYT, 5-31-12
- Edwards not guilty on 1 count; mistrial declared on other 5 counts: After 9 days of deliberation, a jury has found John Edwards not guilty on one of six charges of campaign finance corruption brought against him…. – CBS News, 5-31-12
- John Edwards not guilty on one count, jury deadlocks on others: The jury in the trial of John Edwards deadlocked on five counts, leading the judge to declare a mistrial. They reached a not guilty verdict on one of the six counts. The judge excused the jury but asked to speak again with attorneys…. – Politico, 5-31-12
- John Edwards not guilty on 1 count, mistrial declared in other 5: Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards was found not guilty Thursday on one of the six counts of campaign finance fraud against him. The jury deadlocked on the other counts, and the judge declared a mistrial…. – LAT, 5-31-12
- John Edwards acquitted on one count as jury deadlocks on five others and judge declares mistrial: Johnny Reid Edwards, a honey-voiced North Carolina lawyer who parlayed his boyish good looks and inspiring personal history as the son of a mill-worker into a meteoric political rise, was acquitted of one count Thursday in a corruption…. – WaPo, 5-31-12
- John Edwards whispers to parents, ‘I told you this would be OK’ after mistrial: The jury in the John Edwards campaign corruption trial has found him not guilty on one count and told the judge it could not reach a verdict on the other five counts, it told the court Thursday. Judge Catherine Eagles declared a mistrial on those five counts…. – NBC17.com, 5-31-12
- John Edwards walks free after chaotic end to corruption trial: John Edwards, the former vice-presidential candidate who wrecked his political career with an extramarital affair, walked free from court on Thursday after a chaotic end to a month-long trial for using campaign funds to cover up his infidelity…. – The Guardian, 5-31-12